10 affirmations for a peaceful sleep
Here's how affirmations can improve your sleep
Tossing and turning, staring at the ceiling, counting sheep. Sound familiar? For some people, falling asleep is simple. They lie down, close their eyes, and they’re out like a light, knowing that in eight or so hours, they’ll wake up feeling refreshed. For others, trying to fall asleep can be frustratingly and ironically exhausting.
When we arrive home after a stressful day, we’ll often cook dinner, sit down to watch tv, and head to bed. With so many things to do and only so many hours in a day, getting into bed is often the only time we have to wind down.
When our heads hit the pillow, it’s our time to process. But this also means we begin to recount our day, delving into the negatives and replaying anything that may have caused us stress.
How affirmations work
Neuroscientist Anil Seth hosted an introspective Ted Talk on how our brains confuse reality and imagination, which in this case, is really useful.
If you imagine yourself preparing for a nerve-wracking interview, it activates many of the same areas in the brain that actually experiencing it does. So when we picture ourselves doing something relaxing or repeating a tranquil phrase, it has a similar effect.
The aim of practicing affirmations is to replace those negative thoughts with positive mantras to calm the mind, relax the body and soothe the soul. By repeating sleep affirmations that resonate with you, it allows you to focus on optimistic thoughts, ease your worries and prepare your mind for rest.
Repeat after me
Affirmations are best performed when said aloud, though if you’re co-sleeping thinking these affirmations works too.
Once you master affirmations, you can create personalised mantras to suit your situation, but here’s 10 to get you started:
- Today is gone, tomorrow is new. I close my eyes to peacefully rest.
- I choose to stop worrying, stressing, and dwelling on negativity. As I exhale, I release the day.
- My eyes are closing effortlessly. I’ll enjoy an undisturbed night of sleep.
- I am learning, I am growing, I am excited for tomorrow. I believe in myself.
- I am not defined by my mistakes of today. I am worthy of tomorrow.
- I have done my best today and I am willing to forgive the rest.
- My mind and body are ready to rest. I am comfortable. I am calm. I am ready for sleep.
- I deserve love, I deserve peace, I deserve sleep.
- As I rest, I release my fears, my anxiety, and my doubts. I heal through my sleep.
- I am thankful for this day, grateful for this bed and ready for tomorrow.
Time to hit the hay
While we know repeating phrases out loud may feel a little silly at first, have a giggle, repeat the phrase and embrace the unfamiliar. Your mind and body will thank you (hopefully with a solid 8 hours sleep).
The Eva Mattress
Looking for Australia's best mattress-in-a-box? Buy the Eva Mattress online and experience the dreamy comfort of plush memory foam with the premium support of pocket springs.SHOP THE MATTRESS